Monday, November 1, 2010

Yellow Pickled Radish (단무지=DanMuJi)


Company: Pulmuone/ Product Name: Gardenia Seeds Half-cut Pickled Radish


No Preservative, No MSG, No Artificial Coloring, No Saccharin, No Glacial Acetic Acid

Recently, I learned that some of the artificial ingredients in pickled radishes are not good for health. Some examples of those ingredients are: food coloring, preservatives, MSG, and saccharin. Should I give up eating this delicious food for health? I stopped buying it for a while; however, whenever I was hungry for kimbap, I wished there was a healthy pickled radish. One day, I found this Gardenia Seeds pickled radish from a Korean grocery store. It did not have the unhealthy ingredients that I was afraid to eat. So, I was excited to try it. The taste is not as good as the normal pickled radish, but it is good enough to use, especially considering how much healthier it is. The more I eat it, the more I become accustomed to it and like it. If you can find it in a Korean grocery store, try it someday.


Takuan, also known as takuwan, is a popular traditional Japanese pickle. Takuan is also popular in South Korea, and is called danmuji (단무지). It is made from daikon radish.

Read more from Wikipedia…


  • Use:
    filling for KimBap, an accompaniment to Korean dishes, typically JaJangMyeon, or a side-dish.
  • Storage:
    Keep in the refrigerator.
  • Types:
    There are 2 colors of pickled radish; white and yellow.
    There are 4 kinds of shapes for pickled radish.
    1. Already cut for kimbap size.
    2.Whole radish
    3. Half cut radish (like the picture)
    4. sliced thinly ( for jajangmyeon or side-dish)
  • Short Korean lesson:
    Dan(단)= Sweet
    Mu(무)= Radish
    Ji(지)= pickled

No comments:

Post a Comment